Web Apps, or web applications, are simply web sites with dynamic functionality. In reality, web apps are web sites with pages that contain more functionality than static content. I like to think about a web site as part of a marketing plan, whereas a web app might provide focused functionality to provide for great data management beyond or different from delivering content to the web.
What are examples of web apps? They include
- A web portal for managing and viewing summaries of data from other systems, such as
- accounting systems (P. Flanigan & Sons)
- asphalt mix management system (Reliable)
- marketing driven mailing lists (Meridian)
- A web based project management system (P. Flanigan & Sons and Reliable)
- And more.
If you can imagine it, it can probably be built.